Reunion Weekend 2021

Three weeks ago, on September 18th and 19th, Sacred Heart Academy held Reunion Weekend 2021 inviting members of all classes ending in 0s, 5s, 1s, and 6s who graduated between 1950 and 2016 to gather and reminisce their alma mater, Sacred Heart Academy.  

Classes between 1980 and 2016 joined together on Saturday, while classes between 1950 and 1976 joined together on Sunday. 

For the event, several students had the privilege of taking these classes around the school and showing them how much SHA has changed through the years. They expected to blow the alums away with all of SHA’s developments, but they were rather blown away by the stories the alums shared. Bryahna Bailey (Class of 2023) shared how she was surprised to hear from the class of 1980 that SHA’s mascot was not always a shark. They used to be the Pacers, symbolized by a heart with legs!  

Students also shared their favorite part of the event. Bailey stated that her favorite part of Reunion Weekend was “hearing all of the stories that the alumni remembered from their time at SHA.” Another student volunteer, Brianni Cabrera (Class of 2022) said “I enjoyed hearing about all the things the alums accomplished after graduating from SHA. I loved seeing how much the school wanted to make Reunion Weekend a success, and that they made sure to keep them entertained and having a good time!” Other students, Elisha Telfort and Candace Lavache (Class of 2023) noted the awe they felt when hearing from the alums about how much SHA has evolved over the years. 

Along with leading tours, students performed on Saturday with the Madrigal Choir. The choristers were overjoyed to see the alums singing along and smiling at them. Before they sang, their choir director Mrs. Mehinovic told the audience that she hopes that the choir’s singing could help awaken their memories of SHA, and their performance did just that. This was especially evident during the singing of the Alma Mater. The alums rose from their seats, held their head high, and sang it together proudly. 

Chorister, Chiamaka Alino (Class of 2022), expressed what she liked about the choir’s performance saying, “It was inspiring to see all of the alumni from many different years come together and enjoy each other’s company. You could tell all of them were happy to be there, and that made me excited to perform at the alumni event. My favorite part was watching all of them come together to sing the Alma Mater! Despite coming from many different generations, that one song brought us all together, and that was truly wonderful to experience!” Alino and several other choir members were delighted to sing for the alums and bring smiles to their faces. 

Reunion Weekend was a beautiful event that students and alums were happy to have attended. As each class joined together to celebrate their reunion, it showed us all that the strong bonds formed at SHA truly can never be broken.