SHA & ND iCan Bike Charity Game

Each year, Sacred Heart and Notre Dame work together to raise money for a specific charity. Last year, due to the pandemic, the event was forced to be cancelled. However, this year we came back stronger than ever. Our schools were unable to have one double header night, so instead they hosted two separate charity games, one being at NDWH and one at SHA. These took place on February 3rd and February 14th. Both games raised money for iCan Bike. This is a charity which provides quality learning opportunities in recreational activities for individuals with disabilities, specifically teaching them to bike. 

For this charity, the SHA basketball team sold t-shirts as the primary component of the fundraiser. They were sold for $20 each. These shirts covered admission to each of the games. Students were able to buy these shirts from their classmates on the basketball team, and wear them to the event. The shirts were distributed the day of the first game, during break, and the money made from the shirts, other tickets, the raffle, and the concession stand all went to the iCan Bike charity. 

On Thursday, February 3rd, 2022, NDWH hosted Daniel Hand at their gym for the first charity game. The final score of the game was 69-41, with the winning team being Notre Dame. Many people attended this event, and there was overall a great show of people. Many shirts had been purchased by students and family members, and there was a lot of school spirit coming from both SHA and ND. The second charity game was held by Sacred Heart on February 14th. SHA hosted West Haven high school, and won by the score of 61-28. Once again, there was a large crowd of attendees. Students filled both the student section on the stage as well as the bleachers. Lots of shirts were purchased and worn by the students on this night.

The student section did not fail to bring energy to the gym, and everyone had a great time rooting our basketball team on for their victory. The basketball team showed great teamwork and secured a win for themselves and all those there to support iCan Bike. During half time of the SHA charity game, both the Varsity Soccer team and Cross-Country Team were honored for their hard work in winning the Fall State Championships. Both teams did an incredible job and should be proud of their accomplishments. The teams gathered for a photo to show their dedication and success during the season. 

Overall, the SHA and NDWH charity games were a success. They were not only fun to be at, but they also raised a significant amount of money for charity. Without the contributions of all the students and faculty who bought shirts and attended, we could not possibly have donated as much as we did. The games also made people more aware and educated about this charity and all that it does to support those who have disabilities. A huge thank you goes out to all who supported this event in any way.