Top 5 Seniors: Cassidy Tobin

senior picAs the 2014-2015 school year comes to an end, the seniors celebrate each other’s accomplishments during their years here at SHA. An exciting event at the end of the school year is the announcement of the Top 5 Seniors. Cassidy Tobin was ranked fourth in the Top 5.

During her years here at SHA, Cassidy has worked and studied hard to get to where she is now. The amount of work given at Sacred Heart can at times be overwhelming, but with patience and a strong work ethic, there is nothing stopping you from reaching your academic goals. Through her journey as a high school student, Cassidy has learned many lessons that have helped her to reach her own goal. When asked what the most important lesson she learned is, Cassidy said, “procrastination isn’t necessarily a bad thing as long as you know how to manage it.” Let’s be honest, we are all guilty of procrastinating—whether it’s for a little while or an extended period of time.  Cassidy took procrastination in her own hands and found a way for it to work to her benefit.  “I remember my teachers always telling us not to wait until the last minute to do projects and as an avid procrastinator, I always did,” says Cassidy. However, she also mentions that it is important to know how you as an individual work best. “For me, I work best under pressure.” Cassidy also learned the importance of writing things down. That includes projects, tests, and quizzes. Cassidy says, “it’s beneficial to make lists so that you don’t forget anything important.” She swears by Post-It notes. They help her stay organized and never forget about an assignment. Despite these tricks, finishing her high school career as one of the Top 5 of her class was not easy. Cassidy found group projects to be especially challenging. Between dividing up work and dealing with communication issues, it was not easy, but Cassidy’s academic success is proof that organization and preparation can go a long way.

One might be curious to know what advice Cassidy might have for underclassmen. She found it beneficial to develop your own style of learning. Every student has a unique way of taking in information, and Cassidy finds that the sooner you discover what yours is, the sooner you will succeed. She found that for herself, outlining the textbooks and writing down what the teachers would say in class helped the most. “I think it’s important to figure out how you learn as an individual as opposed to how others suggest you should learn because it’s great practice for the ‘real world’ where you’re on your own to figure things out,” she says. Also, Cassidy finds herself to be someone who gets distracted easily, so for those who are in the same boat, she found that chewing gum was a great help for concentration during studying! Not to mention it is vital to treat yourself here and there while working hard. Cassidy explained that whenever she took breaks from studying, she would head straight for the ice cream supply to help her relax. There is really nothing that ice cream can’t solve!

Even after all the long days spent at school, the tiring afternoons spent doing extracurricular activities, and the late nights spent studying, Cassidy is definitely going to miss Sacred Heart. She says, “I met so many amazing people who are so loving and accepting.” During the fall, Cassidy will be attending the Georgia Institute of Technology, where she will be majoring in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. Cassidy says she is excited for the changes that will come with attending a school down south and is ready to experience city life. She finds it both exciting and nerve-wracking knowing she is going to be on her own next year, but she is “looking forward to figuring it out with a bunch of people who are in the same place as I am.” After a successful four years of high school, there is no doubt that Cassidy will continue to do great at Georgia Tech! Congratulations again, Cassidy, on such a tremendous accomplishment. You deserve every bit of it!