2017’s Spirit Week: Darth Vader, Disney, and Dalmatians!

image (4)The Class of 2017’s 2nd Spirit Week: This March, sophomores took Spirit Week by storm. All of the girls came together to represent their class, its unity, and sport some incredible outfits to match each day’s theme.

They started off the week as green aliens, with out-of-this-world cafeteria decorations and extraterrestrial spirit. Girls came together to make a galaxy banner, and every name was written on green stars that hung from the ceiling. This brought out the idea that every student is unique and contributes to the class in a special way, thus making the class of 2017 shine. The sophomores won the Class Song competition Monday afternoon with an epic remix of Katy Perry’s “California Girls,” complete with a rap from Judith Suffrard. This addition really won it for the sophomores!

Tuesday, Decades Day, included a Star Wars theme for the 1970s sophomores. Many a Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker appeared in the halls of SHA, and Stache Jones and Caroline Bacchiocchi led the sophomores to 2nd place in that afternoon’s activity, “Finish the Lyric.”

Wednesday was States Day, and the sophomores stopped by Orlando, Florida. The girls lined the cafeteria at break as Florida tourists, Disney princesses, and other classic characters as they excitedly participated in the parade. The girls dressed as tourists captured every Kodak moment, as any Disney-goer would. Complete with maps, Mickey Mouse ears, and sunglasses, the sophomores brought Disney World to SHA. That afternoon, all the students came together and played wiffle ball against the faculty. Mrs. Delaney may have made wiffle ball history with her heels, but the students ultimately won.

Thursday’s dress-up theme was Play-on-Words, and the sophomores came as super-mores! Every super-more teacher taught crime-fighters that day. Girls came in with masks, shields, and capes and were alert and ready to save the school if duty called. That day’s activity was TV Skits, and the sophomores did a hilarious parody of FRIENDS. Cathleen Halasinski expressed the common Netflix addiction and Lila Condon procrastinated, like every SHA girl. When will SHA girls stop procrastinating? …later.

The class of 2017 ended Spirit Week with Movie Day, dressing as 101 Dalmatians. At break, students crawled down the aisle of the cafeteria, barking, howling, and begging for a Shirley cookie. The whole class was covered in black spots, except for Megan Antonetti, who dressed as Cruella de Vil and made a surprise appearance in the sophomore class dance. Maddy Clark flipped down the gymnasium floor during the dance routine, and even the SHA twitter account admitted that the dancers were truly “Flawless.” Sophomores received an honorable mention for their creative dog outfits, but the real prize was the class unity and pride from Spirit Week and the memories to cherish.

Overall, Spirit Week for the sophomores was exciting, creative, and fun! It brought the class together as one and allowed everyone to show their imagination and have a great time. In closing, here are a few words from the sophomore class president, Stache Jones: “I would say that the sophomores did an incredible job throughout the week. We were not only dedicated, but also full of energy. During the week, we put a lot of effort into all of our costumes and we put tedious amounts of work into café decorations and music for the theme of each day. Also, our dance crew was fantastic! Although some people were hesitant at first, they worked hard and followed through because they wanted to make their fellow sisters proud. Finally, I can’t wait for what the Class of 2017 has in store for future Spirit Weeks.” This crazy week is always exciting, and the class looks forward to two more terrific SHA Spirit Weeks!