Service at SHA

Our vast inclination to serve the community is a big part of what makes SHA so special. The students and staff are constantly finding ways to respond to those in need, as talents and resources are utilized for the betterment of others. Sacred Heart Academy students understand the value of their efforts and learn to live with great compassion, gratification, and authenticity. Throughout the first semester of the 2019-2020 school year, our student body has completed a number of service projects. Our recent successes include the Blessed Clelia days of prayer and service, on the 20th (juniors and seniors) and 22nd (freshmen and sophomores) of November. Events like these open not only our eyes but also our hearts as the season of giving approaches.

Over the course of a few weeks prior, SHA students were asked to bring in assigned toiletries. Each class was assigned an item to supply- freshmen and lotion, sophomores and shampoo, juniors and socks, seniors and soap, and staff and deodorant. Soon enough, homeroom boxes were overflowing with these much-needed donations. Juniors and seniors then gathered to package these goods into individual bags. They decorated these bags, complete with loving messages and a list of open food resources/pantries in the Hamden area. Over 400 Clelia Care packages were put together and delivered to local shelters; including the Downtown Evening Soup Kitchen, Saint Anne’s Soup Kitchen, and the Keefe Community Center.

Just 48 hours after this event, the freshmen and sophomores helped to make an impact outside of New Haven County. In less than five hours, more than 16,000 meals were packaged with the Rise Against Hunger agency. These meals consisted of rice and dried vegetables, along with a serving of vitamin supplements. “It was incredible how quickly we could package thousands of meals together”, says Sr. Elizabeth, director of Campus Ministry and these service projects. The packages will be shipped to wherever the food is in most need- in the past, they have gone to places in West Africa and Haiti.

Sacred Heart Academy instills a lasting obligation of service in its students, for more than just one day. Students have the option of applying for week-long mission trips throughout the summer and all students complete their twenty-five hours of community service duty during their sophomore year, better known as Sophomore Service hours. These hours allow students to find places they enjoy volunteering at and understanding the value of their efforts, all while making a lasting impact on the lives of others.

Sophomores or any other students in search of service opportunities can find a list on the Campus Ministry page. Currently, volunteers are needed at the Clelian Center, Clelia’s Cucina, Carolyn’s Place, and Hearts for Haiti.

“To whom much is given, much is expected.” Luke 12:48