New Year, New School, New Teachers

brodersen
Ms. Brodersen, left, the newest addition to the theology department.
mrs church
Miss Church, the newest addition to the guidance office.

For anybody, change can be a scary or exciting thing. Imagine your first day coming here to Sacred Heart Academy; the freshmen can probably relate the most. Most students probably remember the first day of school and its best and worst parts. When people think of a new experience at a high school, most people think about incoming freshmen. But what about your new teachers? How do you think they felt walking into the doors of their new teaching life? Can you relate it to your first day?

Ms. Brodensen taught Sister Maryanne’s classes for the past few months. She is a postulant at the Sacred Heart Apostles of Jesus. A postulant is one devoted to faith who is going to be a Sister. Before Ms. Brodersen came to SHA, she taught systematic theology in Florida. On her first day, she felt nervous and excited at the same time. Ms. Brodensen and I think the freshmen felt the same way too. She did not have trouble getting lost because she is already used to the buildings of the campus, unlike me. Ms. Brodensen felt welcomed but a little surprised by the screaming seniors. The best part of her first day was meeting all of the girls. After a while, Ms. Brodensen got used to the environment at SHA and she feels that Sacred Heart Academy is a “wonderful community where young ladies can receive intellectual and spiritual information.” It is a “community that help a woman become her best.”

I also interviewed Ms. Pallock, the new English teacher filling in for Mrs. Beaudwin, who is on maternity leave. Before she came to SHA, she was at Albertus Magnus College, where she graduated in May. She finished her degree working in a literacy program in Hamden. Since she has met the staff before, she had a comfortable feeling. Of the faculty, Ms. Pallock said, “They are great!” with true enthusiasm. On her first day here at SHA, she felt welcomed, but a little nervous to meet all of her students. She also thinks that the freshman can understand how she felt on her first day; they didn’t know what to expect.  At first she was nervous to meet all the girls, but as the day progressed, it became her highlight. Ms. Pallock’s most difficult challenge was trying to find everything, especially her classrooms. On my first day, I barely made it trying to find all the classes, but I had plenty of help. Now Ms. Pallock feels more comfortable and established. Her favorite things to do include reading and writing, like a true English teacher. If she wasn’t teaching, she said she would become a writer. She also enjoys spending time with family and friends. Ms. Pallock especially enjoys the autumn season with its vibrant colors and crisp, clean air.

Mrs. Cantore is new to SHA’s history department. Before she came here, she taught history at a community college. On her first day at SHA, she felt very welcomed by everybody. The best part of her day was meeting all the students and seeing their personalities, but the most difficult part for her was finding where everything was, especially since her homeroom was in the faraway land of the 500’s. Now, fast forward several weeks, and she still feels welcomed and connected with the students. She cannot wait for the rest of the year with her classes. Her hobbies include traveling, reading, writing, learning history and spending time with her husband.

I also got to learn more about Ms. Church, our new guidance counselor and social worker. Before she came here, she just graduated with her Masters in social work. While she was in college, she also worked for YMCA’s youth development and program development.  On her first day here, Ms. Church felt nervous since this is the first time she was working in a big Catholic school. She feels that the freshmen could relate but at the same time, they couldn’t. The freshmen had more time to prepare and bond with each other, but we all know that coming to a new environment can be terrifying. Ms. Church was nervous to meet the girls but by the end, it became the best part of her day. She, too, was a little surprised by the exuberant seniors but felt very welcomed. Now she loves being here and spending her day with the girls and watching them grow. Ms. Church loves photography. She has been taking photography portraits for four years. She also loves watching and working in the theater,  reading and spending lots of time with her family.

There are many other new faculty members settling into the busy days of SHA life, but everyone in the building seems to be learning a lot, both from the teachers and students. As the girls learn to balance their studies and activities, we can never forget the new additions that are helping us succeed each and every day: the teachers.