Erinn Halasinski: The Student, the Host, the Legend

The Class of 2015 as a whole has already left a legacy. The students in this class have given so much time, effort, and hard work to their past four years. Certainly Erinn Halasinski, ranked 5th in the Class of 2015, will be missed. She has worked so hard in both her classes and on the track team to be who she is today: an accomplished, well-rounded young woman.

To put it simply, Erinn is not unknown to the school community. She has been spotted multiple times dressed in a heart costume, cheering on the SHA students at soccer games or pep rallies. She has been seen at the whiteboards in Room 251, solving intimidating AP Calculus BC problems. She has been talked about in this very newspaper just recently, when her sister Cathleen wrote an article about what it truly is like being related to Erinn. She definitely has made an impact on Sacred Heart.

Erinn has made her high school career a success. Even though she came to SHA because her “mom picked it” for her, she has excelled in every aspect. Her favorite classes were Western Civilization as a sophomore and AP Government this year. Although this seems to prove her love for history, she is actually planning to major in Communications and Media Studies when she attends Fordham University this fall.

This young woman really has communicated with and reached out to all the classes of the school. This past fall, she brought a new segment to the morning show: Joke Friday. Each Friday, she has shared jokes, either from online, her own creativity, or student submissions. She did not expect this segment to take off as it did. When asked to share wisdom for all the other grades, she advised, “Just don’t be afraid of trying new things. During my junior year on the last day of classes I asked Sister if I could say a joke after Morning Prayer on the intercom and now look where that got me!”

When asked the plans for the continuation of Joke Friday, she has selected a new host: Ayah Elarabi, a rising senior. On the last Joke Friday, she relinquished her red nose and joker hat to Ayah, initiating her as the new Joke Friday host of the 2015-2016 school year. Thank you to both Erinn and Ayah for their eagerness to make the students and faculty laugh, even if everyone is tired at the end of a busy school week.

Erinn has recalled that her favorite school year was, in fact, her senior year. Surely it was not due to endless hours writing college essays (her common app essay was on her famous pigeon story, which Sr. Maureen shared at Parent Night in the fall), or studying for AP Physics tests, but due to the opportunities to make people laugh.  She shares that her favorite phase of her SHA career was “the beginning of 12th with the heart costume at sporting events and Joke Friday really taking off.” These memories truly will be cherished by the remaining students at SHA and of course, the Class of 2015.

Erinn must have had a difficult time choosing a college, especially after being accepted to ten universities, each offering a scholarship. From Fordham to Boston University, Rochester Institute of Technology to Villanova, she has entranced many universities with her wit and determination. Everybody knows Erinn is in high demand around SHA, but this fact alone proves that the people she meets in the next phase of her academic life truly will cherish her as well.

Erinn Halasinski is an inspiration to all who want to succeed with hard work but still be able to laugh and joke around a lot. Erinn, no matter where life takes you, you will make your mark with love and creativity, and with the help of some corny jokes here and there. Congratulations on all of your hard work as a student, leader, motivator, and comedienne. It truly has paid off whenever you have made a teacher or student laugh. Congratulations on every aspect of your high school career: you are going to do wonderful things. Finally, good luck to each member of the Class of 2015!