Passing the Torch: Advice from 2017 to 2018

Capture (800x537)The school year of 2014-2015 has just started with a bang, and our freshman class has barely scraped the surface as to what life at Sacred Heart Academy and the high school experience as a whole is truly about; that realization may be a bit frightening. Since I am a sophomore, my first year of high school has recently come to a close, and I can recall that stomach-tumbling sensation that I felt my first few months as a high school student; I wish that I had received some guidance! This is what I aim to supply to the class of 2018; rather than having to enter the battlefield with an empty barrel, I hope to give them a bit of warning beforehand so that their experience may start a bit more smoothly than mine did.

For the freshmen, leaving the ranks of middle school royalty and entering the dark and scary world that we call high school can certainly be a startling and even awakening experience. High school, as many have led themselves to believe, is terrifying, and as a student stepping through those heavy wooden doors and into the start of four years of the rest of their life, I imagine that it would seem so. We have all heard the rumors about high school before we actually begin: you will be bombarded with bad grades, homework will pile up, you will break your back whilst carrying your backpack, you will be preyed on by the upperclassmen; the list goes on, but this is certainly not the case. “Ignore all the rumors you have heard, it honestly is not so bad if you don’t put too much pressure on yourself,” says Olivia Emerson ’17.  Though it is hard to believe, high school is not as bad as it may seem; with a little confidence and effort, you will succeed.

At this point, it may seem that everything is utterly overwhelming, what with the new pool of peers, increasing academic pressures, and the responsibilities that come with being a teenage student, it may seem impossible to make it out alive. “Everything is fairly confusing,” admits Arushi Khanna ’18, and I am sure this is something that many new students could agree with. Beginning a completely new school is a whirlwind, which simply adds to the fact that freshmen often do have the hardest time. As studies have shown, the freshman year of high school has gained a terrible reputation within the past few years: freshmen in many schools seem to have the lowest grade point average, the most missed classes, the majority of failing grades, and more misbehavior referrals than any other grade. Freshman year ultimately makes or breaks a student: to stay or not to stay is the question. “Simply do your homework and stay focused.” Victoria Charron ’17 has a very good point: though it may seem that freshman year ultimately will not affect anything, it does!  This is your only freshman year of high school, and what you do during this time will reflect back on you during your senior year, so make it count.

As I can recall from my first few days, I struggled to keep up with my classes, adapt to this completely different environment, and stay out of the way of the upperclassmen. Believe me, the whole time, I waited for it to get better, and eventually, it did. Sacred Heart Academy is such a great school, and the student body is very tightknit; there is always a place for everyone, which can certainly help new students feel at home. “Everyone is very kind to me,” recalls Katerina Bilcheck ’18 with a smile on her face, and it is true: no matter where you come from, you are welcomed as a student at Sacred Heart that first moment you arrive.  I came from a local public school before attending SHA, and with me came only a few other girls; I was utterly petrified that I would end up friendless and sad throughout the whole year.  In all reality, there was no need for me to worry that I was not going to fit in since popularity should not be a first priority. Eventually, like I did, you will find that group of friends that you can be yourself around, and that group will stick with you until you graduate.

One of the biggest concerns for incoming freshman is the larger work load that comes with the high school experience, and the stress that tags along as well. Middle school and high school are very different in numerous ways, including the fact that this year begins your four year journey in which you will be preparing for college. Along with this transition comes more work. Thinking about advancing in your education is certainly frightening, but I can assure you that though intimidating at first, you can triumph over the year.  One of the most important things to remember is to be organized and prepare for your classes; completing your homework and having organized notes will make it much easier to keep your grade intact and get good marks.  “Make sure to keep all of your notes, no matter if you believe that they will not be important.  You never know what could show up on a test, or even midterms and finals, in the future,” suggests Victoria Larry ’17.  A huge factor in lowering your grades is distractions: we are teens, and it is very understandable that at this time in your life, you would like to have a little fun rather than be cooped up inside with your nose in a text book.  The way you go about studying and working is a huge part of how your report cards will turn out, so try not to goof off. If you do not take your classes seriously, you will most likely regret it by the end of the year. So, remember to stay focused, but enjoy every moment because it is sure to fly by!

Schoolwork is, of course, is a huge aspect of your high school experience, but do not be too absorbed in it;  try to enjoy your four years at high school. After all, these are the only four you will get.  When you are not buried in books, Sacred Heart offers a vast variety of clubs, sports, and activities. Getting very involved in extracurricular activities from the beginning is huge; you may discover something you are super passionate about and even end up making friends that you will have until your senior year. “Don’t ever be afraid to try something because you worry that you may not be great; take some risks! Your life has already begun and it will be worth it in the end,” says Kate Christie ’17, and undoubtedly, by taking a risk, you could end up having a better year overall.   “I would say it [Cross Country] definitely has [helped me to adjust]. I only knew  two people coming into this school, and getting to know all of you guys has made it so much easier to adjust,” says Sarah Anastashio ’18.

The key to making your freshman year successful is to know that there will be change, no matter what. High school is a whole new experience, and  difficult as it may seem, conquering your first year is possible. No matter how scared you might be stepping into such a transition, it is not nearly as bad as you think; with effort and keeping your head held high, you will surely survive. Finally, “Believe in yourself,” Veronica Perpetua ’17 advocates, and you will succeed in anything you plan to do, whether it be acing your latest test or graduating from Sacred Heart Academy in a mere couple of years.