Celebrating Black History Month at SHA

February is Black History Month, and schools across the country celebrate it in different ways, including SHA. As a way to celebrate, the  Black Student Union at SHA held a spirit week that took place from February 6th to February 9th. Each day had a different theme that students could dress up in. Monday was Celebrity Look Alike day, where students were invited to participate and dress up like celebrities that resembled them.  Some celebrities included Steve Lacy, Halle Berry, and Adam Sandler. Tuesday was Appreciate the Arts Day. With this theme, students were able to wear any shirt that represented their favorite artist, musician, or dancer, as well as sneakers, to celebrate the sneaker culture in the Black community. Wednesday was “Black Wednesday”, where everyone dressed in all black clothing. The last day of Black Spirit Week, which was Thursday, was Decades Day, where the seniors and juniors were dressed as people from the ‘90s, while the sophomores and freshman were dressed as people from the 2000s.  

` Other than a having a spirit week, SHA has celebrated Black History Month by including a fact about a Black person who made history every day on the SHAmerica morning show, which included people like Madam C.J. Walker, who was one of the first Black female millionaires, who made multiple hair products that helped other Black women with their hair, during a time when helpful products for natural hair were non-existent, and Hattie McDaniel, who was the first Black performer to win an Oscar. She won the award for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Mammy, in Gone with the Wind. In the cafeteria, Black History Month is also celebrated through the food, and with the music. On February 17th, students were able to purchase soul food, a type of traditional southern African-American food, which includes fried chicken, collard greens, cornbread, as well as other foods. During 2nd lunch, songs by Black artists, like Outkast, Beyoncé, and Michael Jackson, were played for everyone to enjoy. And on February 17th, a Black History Month assembly will be held, to further celebrate and commemorate Black History Month together as a school, which is what SHA is all about: celebrating everyone’s different cultures, because that’s what makes us all unique. In all, the activities from this month were great. It was fun to dress up in the themes, and the celebration of Black History Month is something that students at SHA, as well as future SHA students, will get to look forward to, for years to come.