Performing Arts at SHA This Semester

In the next few months, there are many events involving students in our school and the arts. The first is our Coffeehouse and Art Show on March 6. This is a very popular event run by our Student Council which allows students to showcase their different artistic talents. Some performances have previously included: poetry, short stories, monologues, duets, and solos! Also at this event, beautiful art is on display by our very talented SHA students. “[Coffeehouse] is a fun time to hang out with friends, admire students’ art, and see some talent!” Emily Graves ’21 says. Come participate in this event on next Friday!

On March 13 & 14, our Drama Guild will be attending the Connecticut Drama Association Festival! This year, the Guild is very excited to be putting on a show written by our very own Gabrielle Germain ’21 and Cecilia Donderful-Amos ’21 called The Stars Go Down. Germain comments, “Cecilia and I wrote The Stars Go Down as a commentary on xenophobia in modern society. We did not think our peers would perform this show nor did we anticipate the level of talent that each actor brings. It is a very exciting process to see our work be brought to life by our peers in such a beautifully unique way. I might be a bit biased when I say this but this is a show you won’t want to miss.” The Stars Go Down will be performed at SHA for the first time in front of a public audience on March 27.

On February 1, Show Choir participated in the Central Massachusetts Show Choir Festival. Our completely student-run and choreographed Show Choir won Bronze at this competition. Christeena Aaron ’20 also won the Outstanding Performer Award. President Abby Noniewicz comments, “Everyone in show choir is so proud of how hard we worked and what we have accomplished, and I cannot wait to see what the group blossoms into in the coming years!” These women worked very hard to put on this set and will be performing it at the spring concert!