SHA Science Fair

Sacred Heart Academy’s legacy of a highly successful science fair continued this year. The winners of the 2018 SHA science fair are divided into two divisions: the senior and the junior division. Kelly Frier placed first in the senior division. The junior division winners are Maria Papademetris (first place), Adalyn Schommer (second place), and Shabrang Montazer (third place). Honorable mentions went to Gabrielle Germain, Jenna Kennedy, Julianna Milidantri, Kyra Sette, Sydney Walsh, and partners Sara Buzzeo and Allison Rozear. Those who placed in their respective divisions will move on to the Quinnipiac State Science Fair being held from March 12 to the 17. There they can  qualify for awards, monetary and otherwise.

All the participants in SHA’s science fair have worked for months, many since October of 2017, to develop these projects and execute them flawlessly. They sacrifice time before, after, and even during school hours with dedicated faculty to perform their experiments. Each student demonstrates a deep understanding of certain scientific principles by developing questions, hypotheses, and procedures, and then interpreting their results appropriately and giving them real-world applications. Alongside faculty and oftentimes outside laboratory staff, students have the freedom to create any experiment that they have the ability to complete, and there is almost no limit as to what they can accomplish.

For many students, this experience allows them to explore different choices for potential careers. The opportunity to explore the subjects of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) before reaching college is very beneficial for SHA students. It allows them to shape their minds and helps them decide if a STEM career is something that interests them for the future. Adalyn Schommer, an Honors Chemistry student, who placed second in the junior division and will go to Quinnipiac said, “I think that the process of developing my own project and having to work through my problems has given me insight as to how career scientists conduct research.” This real-life experience is invaluable to eager young scientists who want to learn as much as they can before moving on to college and adult life. Through such experience students develop a strong grasp of what goes on in the real world, and Schommer, who experimented with the strength of skin glue, said, “In today’s world of rising medical costs, it is important to know as much as possible about potential treatments and their risks and benefits.”

SHA’s science fair allows students to step outside of their comfort zone and become the creator and the person who implements their own ideas. At SHA, students are given the opportunity to both develop and implement an experiment. Jenna Kennedy, an Honors Chemistry student, who received honorable mention, said of the science fair experience, “I feel like I better understand the process of coming up with an idea and then actually bringing that to life.”  The students who move on to the 70th Connecticut Science & Engineering Fair at Quinnipiac University will have the chance to receive even more recognition for their endeavors and hard work.