An Interview with Our New Principal

An Interview with Our New Principal

In July of 2016, the Sacred Heart Academy community welcomed its new principal, Sr. Kathleen Mary Coonan. As a graduate of the Sacred Heart Academy Class of 1976, Sr. Kathleen Mary carries forward not only the experiences she had as a student member of the Sacred Heart Academy community, but now also the experiences she has obtained as a principal in various catholic academic communities.

This is not Sr. Kathleen Mary’s first time serving in a leadership role at Sacred Heart Academy. Sr. Kathleen Mary served as assistant principal at Sacred Heart Academy from 2002 to 2006.  This experience prepared her for her next important educational role as principal of the sister school of Sacred Heart, Cor Jesu Academy in St. Louis, Missouri.  Sr. Kathleen Mary was loved by the high school community where she was principal for 10 years, only leaving in 2016 to rejoin the Sacred Heart Community.  Throughout her life of service, Sr. Kathleen Mary has taught grade school, middle school and high school in the subjects of Algebra I & II and Theology I, culminating in 36 years of academic and administrative experience.

After graduating Sacred Heart Academy in 1976, Sr. Kathleen Mary entered into the order of the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. She went on to attend Duquesne University, located in Pittsburgh, PA, and earned a Bachelors in Science specializing in Education.  In addition to this, Sr. Kathleen Mary earned a Master of Arts Degree in Administration and Supervision from Manhattan College.

As a native of Connecticut, Sr. Kathleen Mary is glad to be back home at Sacred Heart Academy.  She recalled that the same spirit, the same community of Excelsior women, and the same Excelsior values, are as ever-present now as when she was a student here.

When asked who would be her dream companion for dinner one evening, Sr. Kathleen Mary responded in saying that she would be honored to have Mother Clelia sit at the Lord’s table alongside herself. When asked her favorite meal, she responded that chicken nuggets were among her favorite choices.

In her free time, Sr. Kathleen Mary enjoys walking, reading, riding a bike and spending time with close friends. Her favorite team of Major League Baseball is the Boston Red Sox, though she admits that her second favorite of the MLB is the St. Louis Cardinals.

Sr. Kathleen Mary makes a point of knowing the names of all students, faculty and staff. Chances are, whether you’re aware of it or not, she already knows your name. The community of Sacred Heart Academy is so very delighted that Sr. Kathleen Mary has found her way home.