SHA Science Fair 2016

science fairSacred Heart Academy’s science students have once again produced some wonderful projects. Honors Biology and Honors Chemistry students design their own experiments on which to hypothesize outcomes, test variables, observe results, and draw conclusions. Even upperclassmen can continue to pursue new scientific projects in SHA’s science fair. Students get to understand how the scientific method works with hands-on activities dealing with global issues. The scientific method has been developed over centuries, with contributions from Muslim scholars like Ibn al-Haytham, commonly known in the West as Alhazen, to Renaissance-era thinkers like Francis Bacon and Galileo. Students get to see how they themselves can use the steps involved to test real-life situations and produce interesting information.
This year’s projects were as impressive as ever. Many freshmen were called back to present their projects for the science department this February. Vivian Wang won first place, with Catherine Herrick and Katie Gray in second and third places, respectively. They will be taking their outstanding work to the Connecticut Science and Engineering Fair (CSEF) at Quinnipiac University this March. Other big congratulations to the freshmen honorable mentions Swathi Jacobs, Gabriela Perez, and Brigid Tesla!
In the Sophomore Division, girls can either pair up as a team or work independently. Courtney Clarkin and the team of Meredith McConnell and Roselyn Thattil received honorable mentions for their scientific work. Another team, Madison Brenchak and Jiwon Jeong, tied for third with Audrey Seyfried. Separate students Ashley Amarante and Laura Mocciola tied as runners-up in their division. Taking first was a team of Eunji Lee and Priya Patel, who did a unique project on some of the latest technology: 3-D printing. The sophomores in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places will also be going to the CSEF.
Students do not have to discontinue experiments for the SHA  Science Fair after sophomore year. Junior Elizabeth Lopreiato won in the Senior Division and will also be heading down to Quinnipiac this month. The Sacred Heart Academy community wishes these girls the best as they compete statewide with their excellent experiments! Well done, SHA students!