Freshman Commissioning

Freshman+Commissioning

As a freshman, it is very difficult to transition from one school to another. At first it was intimidating and overwhelming with all these new people and different teachers. However, there is a process for the freshmen to be welcomed and to join the SHA community. One of these steps is Freshman Commissioning.

Freshman Commissioning is a service to officially initiate the freshmen into Sacred Heart. At this service we sang well-known SHA songs like the Alma Matter, we meditated, we prayed and we got special pins to put on our skirts.

The pin represents many things. For example, it symbolizes that we are officially a part of the Sacred Heart community. It also shows that the freshmen have been accepted by their peers.

After the service we went to the cafeteria for some of SHA’s specialty punch and cake and the parents got to finally put faces to the names so frequently talked about. I think this was definitely an exciting moment for the parents because it reassured them that their daughters are having fun making friends at SHA.

I believe that all the freshmen should take advantage of every event that SHA hosts. Events like this one are very important because we can all take part in activities as a family and learn to grow with each other.

Since the Commissioning, I have met new people and have grown accustomed to the SHA life and I think most of my peers have too!